The Checkered Cloth: A Lesson About Loss
Our memories can serve to sensitize us throughout our lives to things we may not otherwise have empathy for. One memory from my childhood has come back to me many times as I have worked with children, parents and loss.
I could not have been more than five years old when this experience happened to me. It was summer and I, my parents and older sister, Audrey, went on a rare vacation to the Catskills in NY. We visited a farm that was turned into a hotel and as a city child everything was exciting and new to me! I loved all the green, the wild flowers, the fresh air and the farm animals. It was here that I fell in love with chickens, an affection I hold to this day! Continue reading on GIERS blog >
GIERS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides services to assist individuals, families and organizations recovering from a wide range of losses. We use a large variety of therapeutic modalities including psychodrama, creative arts, action techniques, education and counseling to help people develop coping skills and facilitate a successful transition toward healthy recovery. GIERS will also educate and train professionals and other community members to understand and aid people experiencing grief.
GIERS activities include:
- Bereavement groups for adults, teens and children
- Humanity Players education program
- Recovery services for losses including loss of a loved one, physical or mental health, job, home, miscarriage, divorce, disenfranchised losses, such as from abortion, AIDS, suicide, and pet loss
- Individual and family grief counseling for adults, teens and children
- Community education programs addressing relevant issues of grief and loss
- Training programs for community members interested in assisting others with grief issues
- A “helpline” grief support referral service
As we obtain additional funding, we will add more innovative programming.
10 East Main Street Suite 5B
Freehold, New Jersey 07728